The Power of You by Melina Dahl

11:00

Hello!

It´s Melina here sharing how I made this mixed media art panel, 
a sample for the recent ODS on Hochanda. I have a full step-by-step tutorial for you today.




Here´s what I did

Step 1: I started by applying a quite thick layer of That's Crafty! Light Texture Paste with a spatula on a 4,5x9” That's Crafty! white/greyboard panel. I dried the paste slightly, and then stamped into the paste with one of the texture stamps from set 4.




Step 2: I applied more Light Texture Paste through one of the new mini stencils, ms005




Step 3: I used one of the white/greyboard ATCs and applied Light Texture Paste through another mini stencil, ms003




Step 4: Once again I used the Light Texture Paste, this time I applied it to a That's Crafty! greyboard heart through the new leaf stencil, TC7007




Step 5: I used another of That's Crafty! new greyboard embellishments and covered the wings with That's Crafty! Texture Sand Paste using a paintbrush.




Step 6: I start to build my composition. I use That's Crafty! 3D Gloss Gel as an adhesive and adhere my Bits and Pieces to the panel. Here I have used two more greyboard hearts and also some small parts from the cogs and gears greyboard sheet. I have also used cheese cloth and some 3D balls in different sizes. Once dry I cover everything with That's Crafty! White Gesso.




Step 7: I cover the whole heart with That´s Crafty! Bright Red Multi Surface Paint. When dry I apply a layer of Christmas Red Multi Surface Paint, and then whipe it off from the raised parts while wet. I rub some more on the raised parts to try to get some of the Bright Red off too, to get a more worn down look.

Step 8: My favourite part, playing with colours and paints. I start with That´s Crafty! Multi Surface Chestnut Brown paint and dilute it with water so it will run into all lower parts of the texture. I then use some Antique Gold and cook it with my heat gun to add shine and extra texture. I also add  diluted Teal paint and finally some touches of red to bring it all together. As a final touch I use That´s Crafty! white gesso and dry brush it on raised parts to enhance the texture.




I stamped the quote from Lynne´s Affirmations set 6 and added to my panel.
Here is my finished piece!






Thank you so much for stopping by today and I wish you all a happy new 2018!
xx Melina

Products used:
That´s Crafty! Mini Stencils, ms003, ms005
(Bright Red, Christmas Red, Teal, Chestnut Brown, Antique Gold)
Cheese cloth
Pentart 3D balls

You Might Also Like

10 comments

  1. Amazing texture, great colours and thank you for the step by step x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really gorgeous Melina, such amazing texture abd detail and ove the shabby chic effects too.
    Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another absolute stunner Melina, you always amaze me with your layering of textures too :)
    Hugs
    Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful display of textures.. A real stunning piece Melina.
    Hugs Tracey xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all sweet ladies so much ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Melina. I've just realised, seeing your post, I have never actually seen one of your step-by-step tutorials! Crazy, isn't it?
    What a difference it makes, taking me on a journey through your wonderful imagination! Your panel is absolutely lush with textures, layers & techniques! The read heart makes such a gorgeous focal point. Then your cooking of gold, addition of teal, graduating across to small red splashes ~ really does bring it all seamlessly together! The final affirmation is perfect! Tyfs! Caroline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really should proofread properly! *"Red" heart, obviously....

      Delete
    2. Oh, Caroline, Thank you so much❣️ Always so kind and generous!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful panel Melina, has a Finnabair feel to it.
    Like all that lovely texture you brought to this.
    Lynne xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Like us on Facebook